Focus Dimensions: How to know if a Room is Small or Large?
Focus Dimensions: Know the size of your rooms to improve decoration and layout.
Are you planning a renovation? Thinking of revising the layout of your interior? Learn how to take the dimensions of rooms to organize your interior renovation and make the most of its surface area. Find out how to know if a room is small or large!
1. The size of a room and its importance
The size of a room is a key criterion for its layout. The furnishing and decoration of the room are totally dependent on its size. Indeed, the surface area and the layout of a space influence the choice of furniture, colors, decorative objects, etc. In general, the larger the room, the simpler the interior layout. However, as habitats are becoming more and more compact, furniture and decoration solutions for small areas are increasing. In the end, everyone ends up there.
2. How to calculate the size of a room?
Calculating the size of a room can be easier than you think, just choose the right tools. Laser rangefinders are one of the accessories to always have at home. Indeed, it is a meter capable of taking measurements quickly by means of a laser. The laser rangefinder will facilitate your measurement and some are even able to perform calculations.
However, if you are a fan of calculations, know that you can measure the size of a space with the following formulas:
– Calculate the size of a square piece: you must measure one of the sides and multiply it by the same number. For a room measuring 5 m on each side, it is necessary to make 5 x 5 = 25 m2;
– Calculation formula to know the area of a rectangular room: this time, it is necessary to take the measurement of the width and that of the length and multiply them between them. Thus, for a room with a length of 5 m and a width of 4 m, the calculation will be: 5 x 4 = 20 m2.
3. Average sizes of all rooms in the house
To give you an idea and to help you know if a room is considered small or large, here are some ways:
– The living room measures between 20 and 40 m2, it is considered spacious from 25 m2 and if its area is below 20 m2, then it is a small cozy living room;
– The kitchen displays an average of 10 to 12 m2, if your kitchen measures less than 10 m2, it is that it is small, but you can cheat by opening it on the living room;
– The bedroom is a sleeping area, therefore it does not have the same size needs. The average room is 12 m2. Please note, rooms of less than 9 m2 cannot be considered as a bedroom;
– The bathroom or the powder room are rooms whose surface often turns around 5 to 9 m2. Even if this wet room is small, it is not very serious since it is above all a functional room;
– The toilets occupy on average 1 m2 to 4 m2 when they are separated from the bathroom;
– The garage is a practical room created to accommodate a workshop or a vehicle, this is why the garage generally measures at least 14 m2, above this area it is a large garage.
4. Solutions to enlarge the space
In case you want to enlarge your living space or one of the rooms of the house that you find not very spacious, there are solutions… Indeed, your house if it belongs to you can be enlarged if the land and the provision allow it. You can opt for:
– An extension ;
– An extension through dependence;
– An arrangement of attic space;