Patchwork Quilt: Learn How to Make and +15 Incredible Models
One of the best known handcrafted pieces in the world is the patchwork. Because it is made with simple and easy to find materials, the patchwork has become a piece that everyone can have at home. How to make a quilt? There are several models of patchwork, this piece can be produced with several pieces of different fabrics sewn together next to a lining, this technique is also known as patchwork .
A patchwork quilt can be produced in a simpler way using few materials or even more elaborate like a double quilted patchwork. There are many people who are passionate about this artisanal technique, so patchwork can be a good way to earn extra money.
- Patchwork, a handicraft well known to the world
How to make a quilt, step by step
Patchwork quilts are produced in many countries around the world, and are even considered a handicraft tradition passed down from generation to generation in many of them. The high demand for how to make a quilt continues to grow, because despite the advances in the use of technologies in sewing and crafts, the quilt still preserves the ancient art and technique in the production of its pieces. Below, patchwork step by step and the materials needed to produce one of the patchwork models.
- Patchwork of various fabrics (100% cotton);
- Cutout items – rulers, scissors , patchwork cutters;
- Needles or sewing machine ;
- Sewing thread;Pins;
- Lining fabric;
- Iron and ironing board.
- The quilt gives a super creative look to your room
Patchwork step by step, in this first step it is necessary to choose the fabrics you want in your patchwork. The leftover fabrics can be varied, from clothes, pillowcases, curtains. Another option is to buy patchwork at sewing houses, where these leftovers are much cheaper than buying fabric by the meter. It is worth mentioning that when separating the fabrics, you should already be choosing and combining colors and prints, so that the result of your patchwork quilt is incredible.
Patchwork various fabrics
- Patchwork quilt is a piece produced with several pieces of fabric
One of the simplest formats when producing a patchwork quilt is the square, making it easier for those starting out in this type of craft. But, there are several other formats that can also be made as triangles, rectangles and more elaborate and complex blocks normally used in patchwork.
- There are several fabric formats that can be used in a patchwork
Following the patchwork step by step, another important detail is to define the size that your patchwork will have. There are standard measures widely used, such as: single patchwork 2.20 mx 1.50 m; patchwork quilt couple 2.50 mx 2.50; patchwork cot 1.00 mx 1.30 m. Remembering that these are some standard measures, but you can use your own, just organize yourself well in the choice of quantity of fabrics.
- A patchwork quilt can be produced in different sizes
A good tip when it comes time to sew any of the patchwork patterns is to organize the fabrics on the floor, placing the patchwork side by side, so that you will be able to have a better sense of what the result will be. Using pins is a good option, then sew all the parts on the sewing machine or by hand, in the order you chose.
- Organizing the fabrics on the floor before sewing them can be a good option
Lining and layers
With the so-called top of your patchwork quilts, baste a soft fabric, this will be the lining of your piece, which will hide the back of the patchwork. You can attach the lining however you want, the most used technique is to sew over the ditches of the seams previously made in the scraps.
- The sewing machine is a good ally in the production process of your patchwork
The finishing on your patchwork quilt begins is very simple, start by trimming the leftover fabric that may have been left after sewing. Then cut a 6 cm strip to bias all the way around your patchwork, so your patchwork is ready.
- Bias finishing is a great option for a patchwork
Whatever your choice among the various existing patchwork models such as the double patchwork, single patchwork or in its different formats, this piece is a great option to bring a different and creative air to the environment. In addition to a beautiful item, the patchwork quilt remains a handicraft piece with a lot of history and its technique must always be preserved, so that future generations can continue to appreciate this type of art in the form of handicrafts.
Check out our gallery + Patchwork Quilt Templates to Get Inspired
- Pink patchwork for a children’s room
- Patchwork quilt can be produced in different formats
- Patchwork bedspread in single size is also a good option
- The detail of scraps even on the pillowcase of the bedding is very beautiful
- Combining different shades in a patchwork gives an incredible result
- But different neutral colors are also good options
- Different prints are also welcome
- Vibrant tones and different formats also look good together
- A patchwork quilt with a floral print is very delicate
- Colorful patchwork brings joy to the environment